STEMulating Design Challenges in Science is a guide to implementing design challenges in the science classroom. This resource:
- provides background knowledge on concepts
- offers the opportunity to practice skills related to collaboration, communication, creativity, and critical thinking
- supports the development of time management, adaptability, and innovative thinking
- connects to careers and real-world content applications
- outlines the basic components of a STEM classroom
- presents guidance on how to use an engineering notebook
- scaffolds the engineering design process using facilitation questions and sentence stems
All of these foundational pieces support student growth and achievement to successfully complete design challenges.
Design challenges encourage students to think about real-world issues and how students would solve them using available tools and materials. Some challenges even include a budget component. Each challenge is aligned to the TEKS, which are listed in the teacher guide portion of the challenge. The appendix sections provide more information and tips about implementing critical skills, setting up engineering notebooks, and establishing student expectations and roles. The appendices also include reproducible masters and sample rubrics.
Digital access to downloadable content, including the product and accompanying suggested resources, is provided through R4Hub.esc4.net with a user license set up at time of purchase. To access these digital resources following the purchase of STEMulating Design Challenges in Science, please open Mozilla® Firefox or Google Chrome™ and access R4Hub.esc4.net. Find the log-in area at the top-right corner of the screen. Click on “Register” to create an account. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.